facebook   twitter   mail  

The Nelson Photo News



Picture from the Past


To house refugees from the Taranaki Maori Wars in 1860, the Taranaki Barracks, near the junction of Rutherford Street and Waimea Road, was built. Among the refugees of those wars was the mother of Lord Rutherford. Later the building became an old people's home. On August 7, 1909, the old building was burned down and, as you can see from the photograph, fires attracted as much attention then as they do now.


Winners of the McCarthy Cup and runners-up in the League Championship and Charity Cup competition in 1926 was this Thistle soccer team. Some of the members of the team are still around. Arthur Smith is a life member of the Nelson Football Association; Ken Black is a life member of the NFA; Arthur Hurst, a past president of the NFA, is also a life member; Ted Potts is well known in the Maitai Bowling Club, and Dan Willis was a keen member of the Sherwood Archery Club, and Trafalgar Harrier Club. He was also an early member of the tramping club.