facebook   twitter   mail  

The Nelson Photo News



Roving Camera


Unexpected visitor to Nelson airport last month was the Mount Cook Airlines new Hawker Siddeley 748 turbo-prop passenger aircraft.


Assistant manager of the Tahuna Motor Camp, Ivan Coleman, holds a frizzled-up chicken, a Christmas dinner that was never eaten, recovered from the fire which destroyed a tent and all the belongings brought to Nelson for the holiday of the Medland family of Porirua. Their tent and belongings were burned in a fire on Christmas eve, shortly after the family had returned from singing Christmas carols at the Church Steps. White spirit vapour from a pressure lamp which ignited while it was being filled caused the damage. Father of the family, Mr C. P. Medland, was admitted to the Nelson Public Hospital suffering from extensive burns to the hands and legs. Thanks to the generosity of Nelsonians, however, the family still enjoyed a happy Christmas. The photo Below shows the burned-out camp site.