facebook   twitter   mail  

The Nelson Photo News



Historic Homes

No. 11: The Old Tyree Property


Commanding a magnificent view over Nelson haven and the Tasman Bay, at 46 Richardson Street, is the first home of Mr William Tyree, probably Nelson's greatest photographer. The house was built in 1888 by James Johnson for himself, but that same year it was bought by Mr Tyree and used by him until 1906 when it was sold to a well-known Nelson land agent, Mr Charles Langley Bell. He lived in it until 1925 when it became the property of William McKay and the property did not change hands again until 1940 when it was bought by Mr Walter Black. In 1957 the big property was sub-divided. The present owners – since 1960 – are the Misses N. and J. Anderson.