facebook   twitter   mail  

The Nelson Photo News



In Earlier Days


Nelson, as it was in 1884. This view was obtained by well-known Nelson photographer, Tyree, from about the end of Stanley Crescent. This photograph we copied from a lithograph taken from Tyree's original. Many newcomers to Nelson will be surprised to find that in 1884 tidal waters used to cover what is now Anzac Park, the Post Office Department yard on the right, and around Bowater's corner. Much of this area was reclaimed by the City Councils of the day.


The corner at Port Nelson, about 1862. The building at left is where the Customhouse Hotel now stands. The lines in the roadway carried the horse tram which operated between the port and the city. These are the buildings which earlier this month were demolished because of their age. They once were the studios of Maori mural painter Mr Oriwa Haddon.


Nelson, 1922. A photograph taken from the banks of the Maitai River showing the old Trafalgar Street bridge in the foreground, the gasometer and port area in the background.